Tuesday, November 18, 2014

A Lizard's Tail


A LIZARD'S TAIL by Bish Denham: From the moment he hatches, Marvin P. Tinkleberry knows he is destined for greatness. For one, he has a marvelous, well-groomed tail. For another he can puff out his throat pouch in the most spectacular way. Maybe the other lizards in his colony don't take him seriously, but he knows the truth. It lives in the marrow of his bones; he's going to be a hero.
When a feral cat threatens the lives of all who live at Stone Wall in the Garden by the Sea, Marvin knows it's HIS destiny to get rid of the fearsome beast. Travelling Over the Hill to find help should be as easy as snapping up a sleeping moth. But it doesn't take long for Marvin to see that the world beyond Stone Wall is not the same as his pampered life back at the garden. From the deadly Sucker Cactus Forest to deadly mongooses, danger lurks around every corner and Marvin will have to decide if he's willing to be the hero he's long bragged about being.

 
 
I encountered Marvin P. Tinkleberry soon after I met Bish on the ICL boards. She mentioned she had a first draft of an animal story and I'm a sucker for animal stories so I offered to read. Wow! It was the best first draft I've ever read. All the advice you might ever have read about just getting the story down is spot on. This story seemed to pour out of Bish and Marvin was such a great character, I fell in love with him right away.
 
Not only is this a fantastic animal story, it is set in a marvelous locale -- a tropical island. I found myself musing about the habits of lizards vs. geckos. Or the smells I lost long ago, like that of hibiscus, frangipani. Best of all, we really get to see how tragic it can be when a cat (I love cats) goes after a colony of lizards. I have evidence right here. In defense of the cat, she was only playing with this fellow ... and it's too bad he didn't make it. But I digress. A Lizard's Tail makes a great read-aloud. I highly recommend it for lovers of animal stories who are wanting something a bit different than the usual mouse or rat or pig tales. 

You can find A Lizard's Tail on Amazon. Bish is also the author of Anansi and Company: Retold JamaicanFolk Tales.

Bish Denham was raised in the U. S. Virgin Islands. Her mother's side of the family has lived in the Caribbean for over one hundred years and she still has plenty of family there whom she visits regularly. She says, "Growing up in the islands was like living inside a history book. Columbus named the islands, Sir Francis Drake sailed through the area, and Alexander Hamilton was raised on St. Croix. Then there were the pirates who plied the waters. Life for me was magical, and through my writing I hope to pass on some of that magic." Bish has known many lizards in her life. Marvin and Leeza are based on two that lived in her bedroom.  

6 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

I'd always side with a cat over a lizard, but this tale may just open my mind a wee bit...

Faith E. Hough said...

Sounds like a perfect story to read on a cold New England day to warm up! :) We've been listening to The Witch of Blackbird Pond, in which the mc travels from the Caribbean to Connecticut--can you imagine the shock the weather would be?

Leandra Wallace said...

That lizard is so tiny! It always seem so weird when I see a lizard here in IN, which isn't very often. Now when we were in vacation if Florida- things be everywhere! =) Sounds like Bish has written a wonderful book!

Bish Denham said...

Mirka, I always side with the lizard, even though I do like cats. It's just that lizards don't have many ways of defending themselves.

It would be, Faith! Lots of sunshine and ocean breezes.

Thanks, Leandra. Marvin's been a long time coming.

Marcia said...

LOL, I'd normally side with the cat, too. But Marvin's a cool enough character to win me over. :)

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

This sounds delightful! Congratulations to Bish! (And your blog is looking so beautiful, Vijaya.)