Friday, January 16, 2015

On Celebrating

Harry and George came to visit me for my birthday. They were NOT invited. I showed them the door, but they brought in their bags instead ...  Talk about a blue birthday. Maybe it's the awful gray and rain and cold. Maybe it's Harry who refuses to leave. Maybe it's because I couldn't go to Mass. Maybe, maybe ... nothing. But I sure was sucked deep into my navel ... woe is me.

Fortunately, my good husband had ordered an antidote and it arrived shortly:

This is a censer for burning frankincense! I couldn't wait to get a hot coal in it and dump some frankincense on top! I couldn't wait to pray the rosary! Holy smokes! I love having a churchy smell at home. And in spite of Harry and all the other annoyances in my life, the blues went pffftt. So I'll state the obvious: prayer is the answer to everything. Whether in a good state or bad, happy or sad. Prayer.
 
I have a couple of other antidotes. I am savoring Joseph Pearce's Literary Converts. What an amazing book! To get a peek into the spiritual lives of these literary giants strengthens my own beliefs. I am looking up little known books by some of my favorite writers, as well as being introduced to some of their friends. My newest discovery is Robert Hugh Benson. And the best part is that many of these older works are now available as Kindle editions for only a couple of bucks. Over Christmas holidays I made a serious dent in my physical reading pile, so I'm thankful I don't have to worry about the electronic pile toppling over.


I am also typing my stories (and this blog post) with these lovely mink cashmere gloves. I have to remind myself to put them in my drawer. Um, I really do work and not just pet the cat all day long ...  As you can see, I am quite good at celebrating each and every day. Do you?
 

6 comments:

Faith E. Hough said...

Holy smokes! :) I love the smell of nice incense, though the cheap stuff gives me a headache. Make sure you indulge in the real deal. :)
And I love Joseph Pierce's books as well. And your gloves! They look almost as soft as that kitty!
Happy birthday! (I am terrible at remembering these things--I'm so sorry I didn't send you a note!!)

Mirka Breen said...

Every Friday our family lights the Sabbath candles and thanks G-d for creation.
Then I turn to my kitties and say, "see what I mean?"
I swear they blink in agreement.

HAPPY BIRHTDAY, dear Vijaya.

Becky Shillington said...

Hope you are feeling much better, Vijaya! And happy birthday, my friend!!!

Barbara Etlin said...

Happy birthday, Vijaya! :-)

Vijaya said...

Thank you all for the good wishes! I am feeling better.

Faith, I got the good stuff!
Mirka, kitties know exactly how to give thanks!

Marcia said...

Oh, I love the size of the censer. When I was in college, burning incense was all the rage, but we had these dinky little pots. Yours is gorgeous. Just right for the best-quality incense. :)